Mental Toughness: Learn how to be coachable

SECTION 1: 1.3.1.25
"Great coaching is helping people discover what they already know." - Bill Gove

There are four levels of competence.

Unconscious incompetence: Where you suck and don't know it.  This applies to me at skiing.  I've never tried it, and I'm probably terrible at it.

Conscious incompetence: Where you suck at it, and know it.  This applies to me in snowboarding.  I tried it once, nearly died about 13 times and figured that was enough.

Conscious competence:  This is when you are good at something as long as you concentrate.  This applies to me in chess.  I'm pretty good as long as I stay focused on it.

Unconscious competence:  This is when you're so good at something you don't even think about it.  This applies to me when I'm teaching martial arts, or playing Street Fighter II.

You want to approach life as though the majority of it had the possibility of being under your "unconscious incompetence" category.  There's lots you suck at (that's positive eh?) and you don't even know it.

So, constantly seek growth and be humble.  Ask for help.


Sensei Ono, Shinka Martial Arts
How could you best encourage a blogger to blog?

No comments: