Mental Toughness: How to cultivate the ability for sustained concentration

SECTION 1: 1.3.1.3
Being able to master the technique of sustained concentration is essential to get awesome things done.  Only the mediocre (at best) is ever achieved in a state of distraction.

So how to cultivate this skill, other than "practice"?

One way that I have found, is through achieving the state I like to refer to as "fighter's focus"

That is, taking the mindset that I am in a fight for my life, and applying it to solving a challenge, or brainstorming; and maintaining that focus for about 20 minutes.

When I apply this technique, I find that I get the equivilant of 3 hours, to several days worth of information in a very short period of time, as my brain achieves a laser-point focus for a short period of time.

Just as you would not answer the phone, get up for bathroom breaks or snacks, listen to music or chatter mindlessly during a fight for your life, so too, would you apply this same stance to your brainstorming.

This is an exercise of solitude and intense focus, not a creative jam session with friends or colleagues.  Let nothing deter you, or distract you in this time.  Most emergencies will be fine in 20 minutes.  Turn off the ringer, go to the bathroom, have a drink of water and a handful of almonds, and begin with a very basic question.

ie: "How can I increase the connection in the lives of my friends, family, associates, workplace, business, community, and myself?" and write, and write, and write.


Recommended Reading: Focal Point

Sensei Ono, Shinka Martial Arts
How could you best encourage a blogger to blog?

No comments: